The Island Radio Expedition Foundation, (IREF), was founded in 1999 for the sole purpose of providing financial assistance for expeditions to rare IOTA islands. The organization was formed by AD5A, N5UR, AB5EB and NI5DX after activating NA-209, H75A, for the first time. We could find no sponsors for our trip. No independent, IOTA only, expedition funding organization existed before IREF nor does one exists today. Many clubs and organizations contribute to IOTA expeditions, but none contribute to IOTA expeditions exclusively.
IREF has provided over $80,000 in funding since its inception and we depend on contributions from supporters every year to advance the sport of “Island Chasing”.
IREF is a 501(c)(3) organization. This designation allows US contributors to deduct contributions to IREF Inc. from their federal income taxes.
We are an international organization. The Board of Directors are made up of members from Great Britain, Portugal, Japan, and the United States. The Board will make all the expedition funding decisions.
The principles that the foundation is based on are:
- To provide funding and other support for expeditions to IOTA qualified islands for the purposes of operating amateur radio & promote radio science through portable island operations.
- To provide funding and other support to amateur radio resident on IOTA qualified islands where such assistance can be shown to improve their capabilities in achieving the same objectives.
- Promote International goodwill through amateur radio.
- Advance the body of knowledge for those interested in portable island radio operations in areas of expedition planning, antenna use and design, radio propagation studies, and general radio science.
- Unite amateur radio operators as a potential force to deal with issues concerning the advancement of the amateur radio hobby.
- Promote expedition effectiveness by encouraging multi-operator, around the clock operating.
- Promote prompt QSL delivery.
To become an IREF supporter please visit Support IREF, any contribution will be appreciated.
President – Mike Crownover AD5A
Vice President – Michael Crownover AB5EB
Treasurer – Charles Allen, CPA W5DV
Secretary – Dragan Davkovski K0AP
IREF Board of Directors
Jose de Sa CT1EEB
Jim Nakajima JA9IFF
Mike McGirr K9AJ
Charles Wilmott M0OXO
Buzz Jehle N5UR
Don Chamberlain W9DC
Bob Nadolny WB2YQH